10 Mar 2015

Nine Questions with Chickn

Nine Questions is a new regular feature on the Active Listener, where we ask our favourite artists nine simple questions and get all sorts of answers....

Today.... Kay & Nico from Chickn.

What was the first record you bought? 
Kay: The two first LP's I bought were Nirvana's Best of and Black Sabbath's self titled album. It was during my school's excursion in Athens (I grew up on an island). It was the first time I saw vinyl records on window displays and I was mesmerized. I used my last pocket money for those.
Nico: Probably Nirvana's Unplugged in New York during school time as well.

What was the last record you bought? 
Kay: Death Chants, Breakdowns & Military Waltzes by John Fahey, two hours ago. John Fahey is one of my major influences. If it wasn't for him and some others, I would have never picked up a guitar.
Nico: Fear Fun by Father John Misty, for a gift.

What's one thing about you that very few people know? 
Kay: When we formed the band, we first found a name for it, for our first EP and for the 5 songs included and then we rehearsed. A week or 10 days after that. Isn't that a weird drive?

If you could record with any one artist who would it be and why? 
Kay: I would die to record with Holger Czukay and Captain Beefheart. Together if possible. Those two people changed the way I hear and perceive music. If those two played together, there is a serious possibility of music coming to an end so I would like to be present.
Nico: With John Frusciante. He is that kind of artist he just moves forward no matter what.

Who should we be listening to right now? 
Kay: Just find a great mastermind of modern music and stick to that. Make it a task. Preach on him. Get his vision and study him. I do that all the time and it works. These months I am into my Robert Wyatt period and I am really glad about it. Stereo is good, but mono(maniac) is fabulous. In the meantime, try K. Leimer's retrospective A period of Review (original recordings: 1975-1983).
Nico: Father John Misty's I Love You Honeybear, with the deluxe LP's packaging if possible.

Vinyl, CD or digital? 
Kay: Whatever suits you better. Lets at least try to get fetishism out of that story.
Nico: Vinyl for home derived audiophilia and CD on the road.

Tell us about your latest release.
Kay: The last release we made was a cassette with an impromptu EP that was recorded during the 6th of last December, in 6 copies. There are still a couple left.

What's next for you, musically? 
Kay:We are now working on our first LP that is expected to be out within the year. You should expect the autistic grooves that we are not famous at all for in an eclectic and improvisational spirit. It is also the first time that we work at the same time and extensively with synthesizers and African percussion. It is really challenging but extremely fun.

What's for dinner?
Nico: Beer, mostly.

https://chickn.bandcamp.com/ 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JT2orno9wI
https://www.facebook.com/chickenkraut
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks 

No comments:

Post a Comment